So Lent is always an interesting time for me. My Grandparents, who are hardcore Catholics, practice Ash Wednesday and Lent every year and every since I can remember, they have never eaten meat on Fridays.I, on the other hand, am not Catholic. I tried once. Funny story actually. My mom attempted to enroll me in Sunday School at my Grandparent's church, however because I had not been baptized Catholic, the Father would not enroll me. Since that day, my mom and I devoted our time to a non-denominational Christian chapel.
Because I am so close with my Grandparents, I still have a tendency to practice Catholic activities. Plus, anything that provides an opportunity for, "spiritual self improvement," is fine by me. Typically I make three sacrifices during Lent. This year it was especially difficult to decide which three things I would give up. I recently have made a ton of changes to my diet, and have been exercising more, which doesn't leave much to change if you ask me.
I finally decided to exclude the following until Easter Sunday:
- Wine
- French Fries
- Fast Food
Every Friday, as part of my wind down routine, I do my nails, watch a good movie, and sip my way through a bottle of wine. I'm giving up the wine routine, for now.
As for french fries, they really are one of my favorite foods. I love them smothered in ketchup,
mayo, honey mustard, or ranch... slathered in gravy and cheese... any variety floats my boat. Goodbye french fries, I will truly miss you but I will never forget the good times we have had.
And finally, I am giving up fast food. As I mentioned earlier, I changed a lot about my diet recently, and this includes cutting back on visits to the fast food industry. I only eat fast food about once a week, however I still feel like once a week is too often. So I'm giving up fast food for Lent, and hopefully for good!
Amen.






0 comments:
Post a Comment