Friday, March 20, 2009

Dear Residents of Gotham City



I like to say I live in Gotham City. Okay, its not quite Batman's Gotham City (although that would be nice considering Christian Bale makes a very sexy Batman), but I do live on the outskirts of downtown. During the day the city is bright and full of life, but at night the creepy crawlies come out to play. There are always sirens, and dogs barking at odd hours of the night, and glass breaking... I'm surprised I haven't heard more gunshots. Not to mention creepy people too.

Oddly, the sirens stop after midnight. I guess the cops don't come here that late. If they do decide to cross that border, you're dead before they ever get here. Ha.

The day before Christmas Eve, I met a group of friends for dinner when I realized I had left something in my car. I ran out to my car only to find my passenger window in pieces. Whoever had broken into my car took my ipod touch, the player I used to connect it to my car, and a checkbook. Plus, its impossible to find an auto shop that's open around the holidays! I drove around with plastic on my window for two weeks.

The hardest part of moving was definitely leaving my friends and family. I was homesick for a very long time, especially during the holidays. But I've found a new family here since then. It took me months to trust a soul. I had good reason though! A few weeks after my car was broken into I was drugged (date rape). Never leave your drink unattended, or in my case, never accept a beer from a person you've only met a few times.

:::Le Sigh:::

Today's economy is not very graduate friendly. I'm currently interning, something I already have done for many, many years. I must say, working for free sure doesn't make life any easier. So in order to live, I balance three part-time jobs. I still barely make rent each month.

I'm so tired of working so hard to be this poor.

A part of me wants to up and leave again. Really, there are few things keeping me here. I figure Obama is going to take a few years to make any chances that will directly my finances, so what's the hurry to settle down? My internship is going well, but who knows if it will actually pan into a career or not. My lease is up in less than a year. Who knows where I will go. There are so many places to see!

I suppose there are a few things that could keep me here. It's always sunny, the winters are mild, the mountains are beautiful, and a handsome young man I've been dating lives here too.

If all goes well, he'll ask for my hand in marriage, strike oil and we'll build our own dream home, complete with vacation spots. That way I can see it all.

Is that really so much to ask?

Happy first day of Spring everyone!

0 comments: